The Scandal Ending Explained: Did Cho Won Really Die?
Some endings give you all the answers you were waiting for. Others leave you with more questions than you started with. The Scandal definitely gave me the second kind.
After finishing all eight episodes, I was left feeling a little distraught and frustrated. It felt like something was still missing, especially when it came to Cho Won. The biggest question I had after the finale was simple: did Cho Won really die?
The Netflix Korean drama starts with what seems like a dangerous game between Lady Cho (Son Ye-jin) and her cousin Cho Won (Ji Chang-wook), with Hui-yeon (NANA) becoming caught in the middle. But as the story progresses, the game becomes much more serious. Feelings become real, people get hurt, and the choices made at the beginning eventually come back to everyone.
Did Cho Won really die?
By the end, Cho Won is no longer the carefree flirt we meet at the beginning. What starts as a game slowly becomes real for him, especially when it comes to Hui-yeon. He develops genuine feelings for her and tries to protect her, even though their relationship originally began because of his wager with Lady Cho.
When Hui-yeon discovers the truth about the wager, her trust in him is shattered. Cho Won eventually helps her escape the situation surrounding her supposed death, but his own situation becomes increasingly difficult. After the truth begins to unravel, he is spared the harshest punishment because of his connection with the King, but he is forced to leave court.
Cho Won frees his servants and leaves on a ferry heading towards Yanjing. During the journey, he jumps into the water and disappears. His body is never shown, and later references to letters connected to him leave some room for the possibility that he survived.
And honestly, this is where I felt the most confused.
Somewhere, I felt like Cho Won could still be alive. At the same time, I can also see why the scene can be taken as his death. The show never gives us a definite answer, and I think that is intentional.
Normally, I would want a clearer ending, but here I think the uncertainty works. We are left wondering about Cho Won in the same way the characters are. Maybe he died. Maybe he managed to survive and disappear somewhere. The show simply refuses to tell us.
Lady Cho lost the one person who truly knew her
Lady Cho was probably the character who gave me the most complicated feelings.
For most of the series, I saw her as the most vile and cunning person in the story. She knows exactly how to manipulate people and situations to protect herself and the life she has built.
But there were also moments when I felt genuinely sad for her because, underneath everything, she really did love Cho Won.
The problem is that when Cho Won finally had a chance to be happy with someone else, Lady Cho couldn't let him have it. She chose control and couldn't accept losing him, even when that meant destroying his chance at happiness.
That is what made her ending so tragic to me. She loses the one person who truly knew her deep down. Cho Won understood the person behind her carefully controlled image, her schemes and everything she tried to hide from everyone else.
She still has her position, her home and much of the life she fought to protect, but she has lost the person who understood her at a level nobody else seemed to.
I felt angry with her, but I also felt sorry for her. And if Cho Won is actually alive somewhere, there is something even more painful about her not knowing whether she has lost him forever or whether he is simply somewhere beyond her reach.
What happens to Hui-yeon?
Hui-yeon's ending is heartbreaking in a different way.
She is already a fragile character, and she puts a lot of trust in Cho Won. Finding out that their relationship began because of a wager completely breaks that trust. Watching her character unravel after that felt like watching everything she believed in fall apart.
But she does survive. She leaves behind the life that was forced upon her and continues her Catholic faith away from the life she once knew. It isn't exactly a happy ending, but she at least gets a chance to start again.
Cho Won was more than the flirt he seemed to be
One thing I liked about Cho Won was how different he felt by the end compared with the person we meet at the beginning.
At first, he seems like a charming womaniser who treats seduction as a game. But gradually, we see that he is capable of loving and caring deeply. That makes everything that happens to him feel even sadder.
He loses people he loves repeatedly, and by the end, it feels like he has very few choices left. I genuinely felt sorry for him because, despite the mistakes he made, he never really seemed to find a way out of the situation he helped create.
The chemistry also made these relationships more interesting. The tension between Lady Cho and Cho Won feels natural and intense, while his relationship with Hui-yeon has a softer and more fragile feeling. Both relationships feel believable in very different ways.
What does The Scandal ending really mean?
For me, the ending isn't really about whether Cho Won died. It is about what everyone is left with after the game is finally over.
Hui-yeon survives, but loses the life she once knew. Cho Won disappears, leaving us unsure whether he is dead or somewhere far away. And Lady Cho is left with almost everything she fought to protect, except the one person who truly understood her.
That is what made the ending so tragic for me.
I finished the final episode feeling frustrated and feeling like there was still more to the story. But after thinking about it, I feel that this may be exactly why the show refuses to give us a definite answer.
Maybe Cho Won is alive. Maybe he isn't.
I still want to believe that somewhere, he survived. But perhaps the fact that The Scandal leaves us wondering is the whole point.
Final thoughts
I would recommend The Scandal to anyone who enjoys historical stories with romance, tension and thrilling twists, especially if you like stories that keep you on edge.
The ending left me sad, frustrated and still thinking about the characters after the episode was over. And honestly, I think I'm going to keep wondering about Cho Won for a while.
Need a break from all the drama? If you're in the mood for laughter, comic timing and plenty of masti, check out my Chumbak review.
💌 Enjoyed the post
👉 Don’t miss out—hit Follow or Subscribe to stay updated with weekly movie reviews and watchlists!

Comments
Post a Comment