Featured

Why The Love Hypothesis Is Perfect for a Weekend Date Night

The Love Hypothesis movie poster featuring Lili Reinhart as Olive and Tom Bateman as Adam
Image Source: Nexus Point News

There’s something especially fun about watching a movie when you’re already reading the book it is based on. You notice the little changes, imagine how the characters will look on screen, and inevitably start comparing the two versions in your head.

That’s exactly what happened to me with The Love Hypothesis.

I’ve been reading Ali Hazelwood’s book while watching the movie, so I went into the adaptation already knowing Olive and Adam. And while the movie moves their relationship along much faster than the book, I still found myself enjoying their romance quite a lot.

In the book, Olive and Adam take their time. It’s the little conversations, awkward encounters, and moments of growing comfort that slowly make you believe these two are falling for each other. The movie obviously doesn’t have the same amount of time to build that relationship, but Lili Reinhart and Tom Bateman make the faster pace work because their chemistry gives the romance a warmth of its own.

One of my favourite moments is their awkward coffee date. Instead of simply talking about their fake relationship, Olive and Adam finally get a chance to actually talk and get to know each other. There’s an awkwardness to the whole conversation, but somewhere between Olive’s curiosity and Adam’s dry humour, you begin to understand why they might genuinely enjoy each other’s company.

I also really liked how much warmth the movie gives Olive and Anh’s friendship. The scene where Olive tells Anh about the fake relationship is a little silly, but it still works because you can feel how comfortable the two friends are with each other. Rachel Marsh and Lili Reinhart bring a natural affection to their friendship that makes those scenes enjoyable.

And then there’s the sunscreen scene, which had me laughing at how awkward Olive was trying to be convincing. She keeps laughing while rubbing sunscreen on Adam, as if laughing more is somehow going to make their fake relationship look more believable. It’s silly, awkward, and very cute — exactly the kind of moment that works in a romantic comedy.

But the moments I enjoyed most were the ones where Olive and Adam simply stopped pretending. After the professor-related events, Olive opens up to Adam about the real reason behind her research. There’s no fake dating performance in that conversation, just the two of them talking honestly. And when Adam gives her that genuine smile, I have to admit, I got a little giddy.

For a romance sucker like me, those are the moments that make the movie work.

The movie may not give Olive and Adam as much time to fall in love as the book does, but it gives us enough little moments to make their chemistry feel believable. And that’s why I don’t think of the faster pace as a reason not to enjoy the movie. It’s simply a different experience of the same romance.

There’s another thing about this adaptation that has stayed with me as a reader. I’m usually the kind of reader who visualises characters while reading, but I don’t necessarily give them an actual face. I can imagine how they look, their expressions and the way they carry themselves, without picturing a particular actor.

The Love Hypothesis might have changed that for me.

After watching Lili Reinhart and Tom Bateman as Olive and Adam, I already know that when I continue reading the book, I’m going to picture their faces. And honestly, I’m quite happy about that because their casting feels right to me.

I haven’t finished the book yet, so I don’t want to make a final judgement on the entire book-to-movie adaptation. From what I’ve read so far, I do prefer the book’s slower and more natural build-up of their relationship. The book gives Olive and Adam more time to fall for each other through those small moments, while the movie gives us the chemistry, humour, and swoony moments much more quickly.

And now I’m actually even more eager to finish the book.

Because after watching Lili Reinhart and Tom Bateman bring Olive and Adam to life, I get to go back to the book and fall in love with these characters all over again, this time through all the little moments the book has more time to explore.

So if you’re looking for a cute romantic movie for a weekend date night, The Love Hypothesis fits the mood. It has the fake dating, awkward moments, friendship, humour, and enough swoon to make you smile without taking itself too seriously.

The book lets you fall for Olive and Adam slowly. The movie lets you fall for them quickly.

And now I’m happily doing both.

Now if you’d rather swap romance for a little mystery and intensity, you can check out my thoughts on Hunkkaar: The Roar.

💌 Enjoyed the post
👉 Don’t miss out—hit Follow or Subscribe to stay updated with weekly movie reviews and watchlists!

Comments

Popular Posts